Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Barracuda, the first, 3rd June 2007

My first barracuda (Pickhandle Barracuda (Sphyraena jello))

It was on the 3rd June 2007, a fine weather evening, all of us went to BBQ, it was Fendi's birthday. Without fail, as always, this was also a reason to gather and lure together, the so called birthday bash. Kekekekekeke...

The tide was low, all been working hard, but no yield. As time passed, only Fauzi and me were still trying

Fauzi with his sparkling new Abu Revo STX (just bought), casting here and there, trying to familiarize with the reel's capabilities, while I, stubborn as before, simply won't say die.

Out of the blue, Fuazi hit something, but no hook up, ended up with severe overrun.
This twist of event sparked new hope in me, so I chose to cast side way, along the breaker, hopping for a grouper and such...

Cast, pause, twitch, crank, pause, twitch, WHAMP!!!! Reflex kicked it, rod lifted, hook set, game on!

The drag was set insanely high (4+kg) for shore luring, but I was expecting grouper, in high snag area, either I stop the fish in it's path, or I lost the lure...

The fish dash out, trying hard to get away, but under this drag setting, with a bent rod, it took no line. Instead of a straight dash out to the open, it was pulled a large semi circle loop, from right, to the left....

The battle was over in under 1 and a half minute, it ended so fast that I don't even recall the fight, just remembered the strong thug, desperate pull, acrobatic splashes and the next thing is Fendi lip gripped the fish out of the water and landed it.

11 Lbs, it says, on the lip grip. Yeah!!




Smile, for the first of its kind in my record book.





The helpful bunch help with the fish while I settling down for the foto shoots.




First of its kind, and also the first to make it to the 1 meter club. What a blessing.




One more shot with the 11 pounder.





Time to go.


I tried to revive the fish after photo shoots, but I still can't do it properly, the fish did not look like it was going to make it, so I seek help from Thomas. He took over, within minutes, the fish gained strength, and swam off. Another one caught, and released.

Was ask to test out the lure after the cuda swam of, cast out near, reel, twitch, pause, OMG!!! It sank (it was a floating lure)!! All of them cheered, ever so happily, for my dead lure. What a bunch...

We headed out for coffee and snack, on me, since I caught the only fish for the whole trip..... Many happy faces I saw...




The aftermath...





Close up of the fatal wounds that decommissioned the hero.



Tackle:

Line: Power Pro 10Lbs braid.
Reel: Daiwa 2500R Custom
Rod: Extreme Anglers Rapier X 8~14

2 comments:

  1. Abang Roger...........Nice cuda lah! Anyway, would like to extend my sincere "Happy New Year 2009" wishes. Lets fish more together and cheers to more catches. BTW, stop hating me okie, kekeke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahahahahaha.... thank you much.
    Sure we will go for more trips, and ultimately I still hate you. wahahahahahahahaha....
    Happy new year! Hope the fishing gets better than 2008.

    ReplyDelete